REGA ISIS VALVE
Ο θρυλικός πλέον επικεφαλής σχεδιαστής της Rega, Terry Bateman, για δέκα χρόνια σκεφτόταν την ιδέα ενός CD player που χρησιμοποιεί λυχνίες στο στάδιο εξόδου. Οι λυχνίες χρησιμοποιούνται ευρέως σε ενισχυτές οργάνων και ενισχυτές στα στούντιο ηχογράφησης ήδη από το 1950 έως και σήμερα, επομένως φάνταζε πολύ λογικό ένα CD player που θα χρησιμοποιήσει λυχνίες. Το REGA ISIS VALVE μοιράζεται τα ίδια ψηφιακά και USB τμήματα όπως στην έκδοση solid state, ωστόσο, το αναλογικό κομμάτι του βασίζεται στις λυχνίες με παθητικό φιλτράρισμα. Το λαμπάτο στάδιο του ISIS VALVE χρησιμοποιεί στρατιωτικών προδιαγραφών τρίοδες 5814A και ECC88 που οδηγούνται από το dac Wolfson WM8741.
- Rega’s now legendary head electronics engineer Terry Bateman spent 10 years researching the concept of a CD player using valves in the output amplifier. Valves have been widely used in musical instrument and recording amplification from the 1950s to the present day, therefore it made great sense to develop a valve based CD player to match that of the signal chain found in such applications.
- Valve version of our reference Isis CDP
The valve Isis shares the same digital and USB sections as found in the solid-state version, however, the analogue stage is valve based with passive filtering. This stage uses two military specification triple mica 5814A (ECC82/12AU7) triodes being driven by the revolutionary Wolfson WM8741 ultra high performance digital to analogue converter.
- REGA ISIS VALVE KEY FEATURES
Rega’s advanced CD technology
Twin Wolfson DACs
Rega ‘K-Power’ smoothing capacitors
Custom designed reference case
CNC reference remote control
Lifetime warranty against manufacture defects
Rega’s flagship CD player, the Isis, is a product manufactured to the highest achievable quality inside and out including Rega’s own unique CD technology, genuine black chrome lid and front facia and a custom solid anodised aluminium case weighing in at a notable 19 kg! We hope you enjoy this very special CD player; we have spent a very long time creating it, drawing on our many years of experience in specialist hi-fi manufacturing.
- Rega’s flagship reference CD player
The Isis reference CDP features discrete class A operational amplifiers and filters optimised for for sonic performance. Using twin Burr Brown DACs running in parallel dual mono mode, offering wide dynamic range with exceptionally low.
- REGA ISIS KEY FEATURES
Discrete Class A operational amplifiers and filters
Optimised for sonic performance
Audio grade electrolytic capacitors
Rega ‘K Power’ smoothing capacitors
Wide dynamic range, low distortion
Rega custom designed and CNC machined aluminium case work
- REGA ISIS VALVE PRODUCT DETAILS
The valve Isis shares the same digital and USB sections as found in the solid state version, however, the analogue stage is valve based with passive filtering. This stage uses two military specification triple mica 5814A (ECC82/12AU7) triodes being driven by the revolutionary Wolfson WM8741 ultra high performance digital to analogue converter. The output buffer and transformer driver stage uses two ECC88 (6DJ8/6922) triodes. This, like its solid-state stablemate, is of an un-orthodox design. The design goal with this player was to keep away from the normal design approach of “let’s run it through a valve to make it sound warm”, but take advantage of industrial valve circuits to make an articulate and competent valve based CD player. Careful choice has been made for every component in the digital and the analogue signal path to ensure the integrity of the signal.
- Careful design of the PCBs ensures isolation of not just the digital and analogue sections, but also the motor, display and user interface processor. All sonically critical electrolytic capacitors have been by-passed with polypropylene or polyester film capacitors.
- In addition to this, large value electrolytic capacitors have also been by-passed with audio grade electrolytic capacitors. Power supply impedances in the digital to analogue converter are kept very low by the use of solid polymer capacitors. All power supplies utilise custom Rega K-Power smoothing capacitors, and fast diodes have been used throughout in power supply rectification.
- The Isis uses enhanced and optimised control code for the control of the CD processor and user display; this will speed up the initialisation process by means of a tighter control interface between the user micro and CD processor.
- REGA ISIS VALVE TECHNOLOGY
The differential output of the digital to analogue converter drives a valve differential (operational) amplifier, with a very modest amount of feedback to stabilise the operating conditions. The 5814A based differential amplifier, with a solid-state current generator in its tail, takes full advantage of the differential output from the digital to analogue converter. This is followed by a passive Butterworth second-order LC filter. Finally, this signal is buffered using a low anode resistance ECC88 triode to drive the output and balancing transformer.
- In design it was felt that unnecessarily high levels of THD would unduly overwhelm the qualities of the digital stage of the Isis. The overall THD is typically 0.06% being prominently even order, where the 2nd harmonic predominates. This will give the sonic dynamics of the valves without dominating the sonic qualities of the digital section.
- After many hours of tube rolling, we found the 5814A differential amplifier position was best on the grounds of micro-phonics, reliable operation and sonic qualities. Both the HT & LT power supplies are fully regulated and use the same power supply parts as used in the solid-state Isis. Like the solid-state analogue stage, the Valve Isis has its own dedicated 50 VA mains transformer, ensuring galvanic isolation between the digital and analogue sections of the player.
- The Isis has an isolated balanced output, and in keeping with the spirit of the valve circuit topology, we have opted to use a transformer in this position. This balancing transformer is made to the same exacting standards of that found in the Ios MC amplifier.
- We hope that you enjoy this product as much as we have enjoyed creating it.
- All these features amalgamate to create the supreme level of performance found in the Isis and provide a perfect partner for the Rega Osiris amplifier.
- DIGITAL SECTION
The digital section is blue printed and selected, with major improvements to the mechanism, optical amplifier, DSP core, PLL, master clock & motor power supplies. Another 10 separate power supply regulators are used in the digital circuit. The motor, user interface processor & display also have their own power supply. The digital stage also has its own 50 VA transformer again ensuring galvanic isolation. The mechanism is graded and matched to the servo circuits, to ensure the servo and optical amplifiers are working at their optimum point, improving error correction and playability.
- The headroom of the optical amplifier has been improved by 10% by increasing the voltage in the power supply.
This revolutionary player has been five years in design. Rega, together with its design partners have pioneered a highly advanced servo controller that uses the latest signal processing techniques to ensure that the raw data that is recovered from the disc is of the very highest quality. Because our fully digital servo can use highly advanced algorithms, the laser spot is kept in the optimum position for data recovery in terms of focus, size and tracking.
- EXTRA ERROR CORRECTION
Previous chip-sets always made compromises on error correction. Formerly it was possible to have good jog resistance or better musical performance. The Rega chip-set allows optimum musical performance and optimised jog /vibration resistance.
- SUPER-STABLE PHASE LOCK LOOP
The entire IC is clocked via a very special PLL of our own design. This allows better CD data recovery as well as a big improvement in the quality of the data delivered to the DAC.
- LOW NOISE DIGITAL DESIGN
In the design of our CPU IC, we went to great lengths to ensure that the data and address bus noise was kept to an absolute minimum. This ensures the ground and signal connections to the DAC are as ‘clean’ as is possible.
- USB INPUT
Allowing direct connection to a laptop or PC via a USB A-B lead to stream internet radio, MP3 or WMA files directly from your computer via the high quality Isis internal DAC. The USB input uses an isolated double-clocked USB interface, which permits the digital to analogue stage to be used with a computer USB interface and its own regulated power supply. The USB benefits once again from galvanic isolation from the main circuitry of the Isis player which eliminates the flow of earth currents between the CD and host computer, and eliminate computer power supply noise.
- DISC ANALYSIS
The valve Isis will analyse each disc on an individual basis. During the initialising period (rather like the engine management system on a modern car which optimises the engine settings to temperature, fuel quality etc.), the Isis will adjust itself to each disc in order to give optimal trouble free reading. For this reason the Isis will often play discs with marks or scratches that other players cannot read.
- We hope that you enjoy this product as much as we have enjoyed creating it.
- REGA ISIS VALVE TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
- Digital Sampling Frequency
- Power Consumption
- Dimensions (W × H × D)
434 × 112 × 350 mm
- Dimension needed to operate (W × H × D)
434 × 200 × 350 mm
Thanks to the supreme tonal depth on offer, the Valve Isis produces gloriously chewy bass with body and timbre to die for.